Re: Pantone Numbers for Railroad Paints

Randy Hees

Pantone, while not the best system is the most accessible.  Munsel books are $1000.00 plus... so not available...

Pantone was originally designed for printer's ink, but now has expanded for paint and textiles...

We use Pantone for our color information at PacificNG.org...  the landing page for our color cards is http://www.pacificng.com/template.php?page=/ref/color/index.php&pg=contemporary  Each of these cards is based on forensic paint information from original cars or car material...  from 19th century color cards, from 19th century paint formula books...

While Pantone is not perfect, it does convey information in a standardize system...

Randy Hees