From: STMFC@... <STMFC@...>
Sent: Friday, March 09, 2018 12:46 PM
To: STMFC@...
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Salt Tank Cars

Bob,

I’m not sure if you’re trying to say that these are have steel tanks. If you are then I believe that you are incorrect. If you examine the photograph very carefully, it is clear that the tanks are wood. Thus, they are (nearly) identical to the vinegar tank cars and that makes a lot of sense. I also note that they appear to be be style with 2 tanks per car.

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

On Mar 9, 2018, at 10:31 AM, thecitrusbelt@... <mailto:thecitrusbelt@...> [STMFC] <STMFC@... <mailto:STMFC@...> > wrote:

This 1926 builder's photo is from the Indiana Historical Society website:

<http://images.indianahistory.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p16797coll21/id/94/rec/616> http://images.indianahistory.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p16797coll21/id/94/rec/616

I imagine these cars carried various salt compounds. To my eye they look a bit like steel versions of vinegar tank cars with wooden tanks.

What else is known about such cars?

Bob Chaparro