Re: Accurail Nickel Plate Rebuilt Hopper Kitbash

Ray Breyer

>>On Monday, April 16, 2018, 12:02:42 PM CDT, Paolo Roffo <paolo.roffo@...> wrote:
>>Would these have travelled off-line much by the 1950s?  Or were they mostly relegated to company
>>service and other niche uses by then?
>>Paolo

Hi Paolo,

Although they do seem to have been the cars of choice to haul NKP company coal and ash, they were regular service hoppers just like any other car in their fleet. They show up regularly in Wheeling Division train photos, and I have a color photo of one in a Seaboard train in Sewell's Point VA, circa 1956. There were still 972 of these cars on the roster in 1959, representing 12% of their hopper fleet.

Keep in mind that the bulk of these cars weren't rebuilt into all-steel cars until the 1950-1954 period. If they were going to stay in company service they probably wouldn't have been rebuilt at all. The N&W didn't have a use for the cars, and they were scrapped quickly after the N&W takeover.

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL