Re: The rules of the STMFC and RealSTMFC

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Mike,

A clarification on photos please. Your rules do not address old photos/negatives from our personal collections by unknown photographers. A Will Whittaker photo is one thing (for example), but an accidental shot of a boxcar taken 60 years before the print turned up in a pile family snapshots at a local antiques mall is something else entirely.
I know that technically the intellectual property still resides with the creator, his/her heirs or his/her assigns, but in many cases there is no way to trace this, the photographer may likely be deceased, and nobody is left to care. I'm sure you too have such photos in your personal collection. How are we to handle these if we want to post them to the group? Would something like "Collection of Garth Groff, original photographer unknown" be acceptable?

I don't want to stir up a lot of chatter about intellectual rights, but this is a valid question for you to address.

Thanks much.

Garth Groff  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

On 4/16/18 1:07 PM, Mikebrock wrote:

. . .  Placing photos in the file space involves issues associated with copyright and property rights. Members are allowed to upload photos into the file and/or photo spaces but only those photos that the members took themselves or those for which they have permission from the photo seller or other source to present on the internet for public consumption. Members are expected to obtain by themselves the necessary permissions. Failure to do so could result in the member being excluded from using the file and photo spaces. All photos placed in the file space are for personal use only by members of the STMFC and any rights for other usage must be negotiated with the party holding rights to the photo's usage. Photos placed in the STMFC file space must include in the description the source of the photo. The STMFPH is an associated group used to provide additional storage space and the same conditions apply to photo activity in that group. Announcements of steam era frt car related items for sell are permitted BUT actual lists of items should be made available from the seller upon request rather than in the message. Announcements of such sells should be kept at a minimum. The primary objective of the group is to exchange information concerning the subject . . . .

Mike Brock

STMFC and RealSTMFC Owner