Re: Color & color perception

Charles Peck

I know that my road  (L&N) bought freight car reds from low bidders. Some a little redder,
some a little browner, some faded faster, some became almost pink.  So even before
weathering, I make sure the colors vary. I realize that this is entirely contrary to the
practice of many modelers who demand absolute consistency in their paint.  But it fits
the practice of my chosen prototype AS I REMEMBER IT from 60 years ago.
As I see it, my personal recollections and fitting the image I remember are more
important than having someone show me a paint chip and say all my hopper cars
should be THIS color.
I can agree that hopper number xxxxx was painted this color in 1951.  But looking at
the overall fleet painted in various years with differing paint, getting one car exactly
right seems a minor issue.  Not one that is going to disturb my happiness.
The only color issue that gripes me is that Dulux Gold is bright mustard, not a
metallic gold.
Chuck Peck

On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 2:53 PM, Garth Groff <sarahsan@...> wrote:
Tim,

I really wish you had more samples to share.

I found it interesting that you have B&O samples from two different manufacturers, and they are different. Still, after a couple of years of road grime, weather and sunlight, I doubt if the colors would have looked anything like the samples. Although we agonize over the correct shades, but often forget that in addition to lighting changing colors, so does weathering.

Get it close and weather the stuffing out of it.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

On 4/17/18 2:26 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
Gordon Andrews wrote

 > So.... anyone want to start a data base of "correct colors"? BTW, the "green identified
 > as "Sylvan" by Pantone is NOT what Southern used on their steam passenger  locomotives.
 > I think it is closer to Pantone 2427 XGC... but what do I know... I've had surgery. Maybe
 > the Smithsonian knows the Pantone color on #1401.

Many years ago Ed Hawkins scanned some paint chips as shown here. (This is my
compressed JPEG rather than the original TIFF file.) With simple statistical
sampling you could build a database of RGB values for all such paint chips. In
my opinion well preserved paint chips are the most reliable way to assess original
paint colors.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/timboconnor/17098035956/

But as we ALL should know by now, PAINT color and PERCEIVED color are two different
animals. Dennis Storzek's post on the difference caused by 3000k (late afternoon red)
vs 5000k (high noon full spectrum) light makes a HUGE difference.

In addition, prototype colors are skewed by application directions. For example, some
SP passenger cars had Primer, then Aluminum, then Daylight Red, and finally an overcoat
of varnish. In direct sunlight some photons would penetrate the layers and so what your
eye or camera "saw" had many different influences, only one of which was Daylight Red.