Re: Union Carbide Linde Cars

Ian Cranstone

Dave, this photo is from the City of Vancouver Archives, Walter Frost collection, CVA 447-1787. The library has dated it September 6, 1954, but this is problematic on two fronts: first, the reweigh date stencilled on the car is 8-58; and second, the CGBX reporting mark was not introduced until 1957, being first reported in the April 1957 ORER.

CGTX acquired a number of these cars, all second-hand, between 1955 and 1969, numbered CGBX 600-616 and 651-652 (prior to 1957, these cars apparently shared the CGTX reporting mark with the company's tank cars). In 1982 the remaining cars were relettered with CGMX reporting mark (the CGBX reporting mark was transferred to Procor, along with a number of tank cars).

Interestingly, I have another photo of CGBX 603, apparently taken during the 1960s, that shows a car with very different side sills and frame members, which leads me to believe that it was replaced at some point.

Ian Cranstone

Osgoode, Ontario, Canada

lamontc@...

On 2018-04-18 10:58, Dave Sarther via Groups.Io wrote:

Eric,

I have a photo of another Linde Car with the reporting mark CGBX..  Sorry no credits available for photographer or collection.

-----Original Message-----
To: RealSTMFC <RealSTMFC@groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Apr 18, 2018 4:21 am
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Union Carbide Linde Cars

Nice photo with lots of details. Thanks for sharing, Bob.
I see two different paint schemes on these cars and one paint scheme has two lettering versions. I see three different reporting marks on these cars; SERX, LTCX, and LAPX. 

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On April 17, 2018 at 9:08 PM Bob Chaparro <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

This was taken at the Linde Air Products plant, served by the Pittsburg & Shawmut Railroad:

I believe these are technically tanks cars. Notice the several reporting marks on these cars.

My late father-in-law had a long career with Union Carbide so such cars are a special remembrance for me.

Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.