Re: Meat Packinghouse Operations Circa 1950

Steve SANDIFER

I assume Nanopdf stole this from the Santa Fe Society website, as I was the author. I would change a few things in that pdf, most notably the reference to frozen meat. It was not frozen, but kept very cold just above the freezing point.

J. Stephen Sandifer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bob Chaparro
Sent: Sunday, May 6, 2018 11:22 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Meat Packinghouse Operations Circa 1950

This is a link to a very informative article by Steve Sandifer and Donald Lake. Other contributors were Keith Jordan, Mike Blaszak, Charles Schultz, Doug Harding, Clark Probst, Linda Sand, George Walls, and Kurt Stoebe.

https://nanopdf.com/download/packing-house-operations_pdf

The article covers railroad deliveries of beef to a packing house and the production of meat and by-products shipped out by rail. This includes ratios of various cars required, information useful for modeling purposes.

The article also includes a proposed operations plan for servicing a meat packinghouse in a model railroad setting.

Bob Chaparro

Moderator

Railway Bull Shippers Group

https://groups.io/g/RailwayBullShippersGroup