Re: Iowa Terminal/PRR gun flat

Jim Mischke

There is more to this story.  With me present as a child about 1967, the Iowa Terminal chief mechanical officer told my father that the railroad had stolen the flat car.   Needing a flat car, when a PRR flat car came in interchange, they hid it out back in the weeds and forged the paperwork to indicate it had been returned empty to CGW.   Then they waited 10-15 years until the statute of limitations ran out, at which time they fetched it from the weeds and made it into a snowplow.  How is that for planning ahead?

During this interval, a PRR representative did drop by looking for the flat car, but seemed satisfied with the paperwork and left.