Re: Iowa Terminal/PRR gun flat

Charles Peck

Garth, I certainly agree that the time frame seems shaky for the car to have
arrived with archbar trucks.  However, if I had a guilty conscience over a
stolen car, I would have removed trucks with PRR cast on them and
substituted something less obvious.
Chuck Peck

On Sat, May 19, 2018 at 2:20 PM, Garth Groff <sarahsan@...> wrote:
Jim,

We discussed this story before, but a couple of thing bother me about it. The car is on archbar trucks. They were banned in interchange in 1941-42. And what would such a specialty car be doing in interchange to an Iowa shortline, unless perhaps these cars also ran in general service? While the story may be true, it does seem a bit dodgy.

Can any of our PRR mavens put a date on when these cars would have received cast frame trucks?

In any case, the car was there when my father visited the ITR. Does anyone know if it is still around?

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

On 5/19/18 2:42 PM, Jim Mischke wrote:

There is more to this story.  With me present as a child about 1967, the Iowa Terminal chief mechanical officer told my father that the railroad had stolen the flat car.   Needing a flat car, when a PRR flat car came in interchange, they hid it out back in the weeds and forged the paperwork to indicate it had been returned empty to CGW.   Then they waited 10-15 years until the statute of limitations ran out, at which time they fetched it from the weeds and made it into a snowplow.  How is that for planning ahead?

During this interval, a PRR representative did drop by looking for the flat car, but seemed satisfied with the paperwork and left.