From: Edward <edb8391@...>
To: main <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Sent: Mon, May 21, 2018 9:38 am
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Why Transfer cabooses?

The state of Ohio passed a law in 1913 requiring railroad cabooses used with in the state to have eight wheels and be at least 24' in length, not including end platforms.
B&O was a prime user of four-wheel cabooses, with their K-1 class built from 1878 to 1913.  They were 20' cars of all wood construction with nearly 600 built over that time span.

The Ohio Caboose Law resulted in the B&O designing their I-1 eight wheel caboose in the 'teens, which was further refined their more famous I-5 class cars in the 1920's.
The PRR which also ran in Ohio, had a class of four wheel cabooses at that time with longer bodies, some of which were converted to eight wheels for compliance.

After 1913, the B&O K-1 cabooses continued working at other locations, on WV branch lines and terminal road subsidiaries B&O Chicago Terminal and the B&O New York Terminal's Staten Island Rapid Transit.  It was on the SIRT that K-1 cabooses were still used on inter-state runs between Cranford NJ and Staten Island. They were replaced in 1953 with I-1 class cars.
B&O CT's four-wheel K-1 cabooses were also retired about that time.

SIRT received seven K-1 class cars (so far as photos can determine) by March 1, following a two year court contest by the LV, PRR and State of NJ against the B&O concerning the 500' long swing bridge built over the Arthur Kill between NJ  and Staten Island in1888 as a menace to navigation. In time, the K-1 cupolas were removed due to need for repair or rot.  They were not needed for local freight, terminal or  transfer operations.  Most of the  NY Terminal K-1's were rebuilt with replacement steel under frames during  the 1930's. They were burned for scrap at the SIRT Arlington Yard in 1953.

The replacements B&O provided were three I-1 class cars and one I-13 class bay window caboose. The I-13 soon lost its bay windows due to clearance concerns from high-level platforms used in SIRT's passenger service. The I-1 cars also lost their cupolas as the need for repair arose.  These cabooses remained in service until end of B&O/C&O Chessie System service to the metro NY area by Conrail.

Ed Bommer