From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of anthony wagner
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2018 7:46 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Why Transfer cabooses?

My speculation about 4 wheel cabooses is that most, if not all, had wooden underframes and that was the reason for declaring them unsafe not the fact they they were on 4 instead of 8 wheels. It was in the 1920s, 1927 comes to mind, that wooden underframes were banned from interchange but that wouldn't have affected cars that were never went off line such as cabooses, 4 or 8 wheel, and work equipment. I remember from my youth, late 40s, early 50s in Philadelphia, of catching very occasional glimpses of 4 a wheel class ND somewhere on the Pennsy while going somewhere with my parents. That said, the Pennsy NDs seemed to have had steel underframes. There are still a number of them in various states of preservation in museums. Also, in the 1980s TTX had several thousand 4 wheel piggyback cars built after the prototypes were successfully tested at the AAR facility in Pueblo.  Tony Wagner

On Monday, May 21, 2018 8:50 AM, Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:

I believe Ohio passed legislation in 1914 banning the use of 4-wheel cabooses.

From what I’ve seen over the years, any bans on these older cabooses were a state matter and did not stem from ICC/AAR/ARA/MCB actions.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN