Re: Side-door Cabooses [was Why Transfer cabooses?]

BillM

The FEC used wooden side door cabs into the 60s when they began to abandon cabs altogether. Some of the wooden side door cabooses were sold to other railroads so they may be seen relettered and on other railroads.

Bill Michael

Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 12:19 PM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Side-door Cabooses [was Why Transfer cabooses?]

In addition to the conventional side door waycars, the CB&Q also had converted coach waycars in class CW-1 through CW-6, and converted box cars in class NE-5 that were used as waycars. Both had side doors and end doors. The converted coaches had platforms on both ends but the box cars didn’t have end platforms. Most of the converted boxcars had one of the side windows extended outward like a bay window. The converted coaches had a cupola, but the box cars did not. Some of both waycar types were still on the roster in 1953. Photos show converted boxcars in IL and NE and converted coaches in Il, IA, NE, and SD. Photos also show conventional side door waycars in IL, IA, NE, and SD between 1963-1976. I’m pretty sure that Iowa did not ban side door waycars in any form.

For a definitive book on Q waycars, consult The Burlington Waycars by Danniel, Reis, and Douda, published by Mile Post 206 Publishing, Inc.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Dennis Storzek
Sent: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 10:25 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Side-door Cabooses [was Why Transfer cabooses?]

It may have been the IC's own doing, deciding that a conservative interpretation of the language of the law was cheaper and easier than a fight later on. I googled this issue and some of the discussion seemed to indicate that there was such a law in Iowa but that it had been repealed or amended decades ago.

I also ran into a discussion of what exactly constitutes a "side door caboose." The gist of the argument was that the laws were intended to outlaw the converted boxcars that had no end platforms, just a long step under the former door location. These were dangerous, as they were hard to mount and dismount when moving, and that style did universally go out of existence. Problem might have been some states laws were worded too broadly, allowing the interpretation that ANY door on the side of a caboose was prohibited. I can see these being amended early on.

Dennis Storzek

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.