Travels Of B&O N-34 Covered Hoppers

Bob Chaparro

The June 2017 issue of Model Railroader has a product review (Page 66) of Spring Mills Depot's HO scale B&O N-34 Covered Hoppers. The review states that these cars carried cement, soda ash, clay and (later) glass sand.

The review also concedes that these cars operated mainly in the Midwest. However, the review also suggests these cars could have traveled across the country.

I know this group has pretty well established that similar covered hoppers almost always stayed on or close to their home tracks. So in this instance, would their have been any commodity originated in the B&O's territory that would have traveled well outside that territory?
I wouldn't mind owning one of these cars but, as I model Southern California, I'd rather not strain reality by having such a car zipping along past my palm trees and orange groves.
Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA