Other stuff I came across

Dave & Libby Nelson <muskoka@...>

Thought I'd add a description of the material I was working with yesterday
at Stanford:

1) Carload Waybill Analysis, 1950 - State to state distribution of Products
of Forests.
2) Carload Waybill Analysis, 1950 - State to state distribution of Products
of Agriculture.
3) Carload Waybill Analysis, 1950 - State to state distribution of Products
of Manufacturers.
4) Carload Waybill Analysis, 1950 - State to state distribution of Products
of Animals.

I copied #1 and #4 fully, got most of #2, and sampled #3 (e.g., auto
industry commodities)

The contents of these 4 follow the same pattern: state-to-state movement,
carloads, tons, revenue, ton miles, car miles, and several averages from the
above. The order is by commodity class, then originating state. All data
is based on the 1% waybill sample, so many of the numbers are small.

Fer instance, Bannanas: I had always assumed they all came thru LA. (the
port of New Orleans). Not so. Both AL. (Mobile) and MD. (Baltimore) were
likely ports as well, and some small quantities into NJ. and CA. Most LA.
originated bannanas went to IL. (no surprise), but there were no indications
of movements out of IL. to other states suggesting there was no warehousing
of this fruit for later distribution (we Illini must love our bannanas).

I wanted Forwarder and LCL traffic, but these were the last 2 pages and have
been torn off and lost.

5) Carload Waybill Analysis, 1949 - Percentage distribution of tonnage by
milage block.

This one is a simple list of all 220+ commodities citing total tons measured
by the 1% sample and calculating what percentage of those travelled in each
of the 10 mileage blocks (e.g., 0-49 miles, 50-99, 100-199, etc.).

Samples: 68% of sugar beets travelled less than 50 miles. 60% of frozen
fruit travelled 2000-2999 miles. 41% of coal went 200-399 miles. 33% of
beer went 600-999 miles. etc.

6) Carload Waybill Analysis, 1950 - Quarterly seasonal comparisons from
1947, 48, 49, 50.

Again, all 220+ commodity classes having calendar quarter data for carloads,
tonnage, average mileage and revenue, for each of the 4 years cited.

Absent exact seasonality data from an individual railroad, this will form
the basis for any seasonality adjustments that could be applied to annual
commodity reports -- the data I posted for Jeff English on the Rutland.

7) Tons of revenue freight terminated...[by state], 1st Quarter 1950.

This is the total tonnage, not the 1% sample, of each commodity, as
originated and terminated by state.

So, in 1Q1950, 27585 tons of bannanas originated in Alabama, 0 tons
originated, 21072 tons terminated in Illinois. 64891 tons originated in
Loiusiana. 23041 tons originated in Maryland. Etc.

Unfortunately I ran out of coins before I could get the other 3 quarters of
data. Some other trip no doubt. And were I to obtain a couple of years of
data, the utility of item 6, above, might diminish being replaced by
seasonal data from this source.

and lastly:

8) Tons of Revenue Freight for each class 1 railroad... 1948.

As shown in the first sheet of the file I put out on egroups. I did the
Rutland and the Sac Northern. I had intended on filling out my 1950 data (I
have all the central west roads, plus one or two others), but the book had
gone walkabout so there I with time and money and no first target and all
that other neat stuff....

Dave Nelson