From: Bob Chaparro <chiefbobbb@...>
To: main <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Jul 4, 2018 12:06 pm
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Bangor & Aroostook 1927 Boxcar 61000 series (Reefer Colors)

The comment, "When BAR bought the used, wood sided MDT reefers, some of which were famously painted in red, white, and blue, in 1949-50..." caught my attention. I have been looking for a photo on one of these red-white-blue reefers for years.

Back in 2003 Tim Gilbert said, "The BAR did not buy their first reefer until 1951. The first series 338 strong in 1/1953, #6000-6999, were ex-MDT reefers and were painted yellow with black ends. The second series were the #7000-7856 which were built by Pacific Car & Foundry - 500 in 1951-52 and another 357 in 1953. These had yellow sides and ends. The #7000's were the ones rented to PFE during the summer - the off-season for Aroostook County spuds."

A lot of modelers falsely believe the PC&F steel-sheathed reefers used the red-white-blue paint scheme. Perhaps this is because some of the ex-MDT reefers were so painted, although others disagree about this.

Does anyone have a photo or photo source for the ex-MDT reefers painted red-white blue?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA