Re: SOUTHERN 41'6" flat car questions

Jim King

A bit of kit manufacturing history re: this flat car.  I designed and produced this kit and it’s “brother” (composite gon) using SRHA Archives drawings and photos.  The flat car was an exclusive for the SRHA; the gon was sold thru the SMMW line.  When I decided to sell the HO product line to Wright Trak 6 years ago, SRHA granted permission to move the production rights to Gary with the sale.  The composite gon was not a good seller and never rerun by me.  Based on Gary’s web site, less than half of the kit patterns I sold him are available as kits (some of them have been “replaced” by RTR, such as the waffle box, Silver Side gon and B&O M53).

The flat, composite and steel gons were also produced in S as part of the Smoky Mtn line; the flat and composite gon were later upscaled to O but the steel gon remains “to do”.

Jim King

www.smokymountainmodelworks.com