Re: SOUTHERN 41'6" flat car questions

Jim King

1 of the photos in my kit’s instructions was a slide of a 41’ flat I shot in Lynchburg VA in the mid-80s.  It still wore brown paint with small Roman lettering (pre-1958/59).  The only difference was a 900000-series MOW number stenciled over the revenue number.  It was dwarfed by a Pettibone rubber-tired crane sitting on its deck.  This was the basis for suggesting to paint the car “boxcar red”.  Not until last year did I find a slide (attached) showing a 41’ car wearing brown paint and an experimental Roman font (see paragraph below).  Despite the dirt, the brown clearly shows thru.  Combined with the lettering, I’d say this car was painted and stenciled around 1958-59.

I have diesel stenciling diagrams with August 1957 revisions stating the color change from green to black but retaining the small lettering (which was changed when the Tuxedo scheme appeared a few years later).  The freight car block font we’re used to seeing didn’t start appearing on freight cars until 1959 with delivery of 4000-series covered hoppers.  Silverside gons, built 1960, carried the same style font, just different colors (Vermillion, green, white and black have been documented).  Experimental block lettering appeared on cars in 1958-59, easily distinguishable from the final font that appeared in 1959 as noted above.

Jim King

www.smokymountainmodelworks.com