Re: Box Car Door Markings Question

Eric Hansmann

N&W cars have a similar white square. Andrew Dow notes in his N&W hopper book that these painted squares denote the area for placards and route cards. Car men didn’t always oblige when racking up the documents.

I’ve seen similar painted squares on some freight cars in photos from the Teens. Usage seems to fade by the 1920s.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On Jul 14, 2018, at 10:45 PM, Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...> wrote:

I built a couple of Westerfield CB&Q XM-17/18 kits recently. The decal sheet includes a small white square approximately 5 or 6 scale inches square, and photos show the square painted in the lower center of the wood door. Does anyone know the significance of that square, and what range of years was it applied? A post to the CBQ group went unanswered.

Nelson Moyer