Re: The Twelfth St. Louis Railroad Prototype Modeler's Meet

Tim O'Connor

With such a large crowd (662) it would be statistically meaningful to ask every
attendee to give their current age and then compile an (anonymous) age graph of the
distribution of ages. If done every year we could get a much better idea of the
ages of RPM modelers, at least. It's been known for a long time that many people
don't enter the hobby seriously until their 30s or 40s - once they start to "settle
down". Even in the 1960's I think the "average" age compiled by Model Railroader was
in the early to mid 40's.

Tim O'Connor

My topic was one that has a fairly narrow appeal­maybe i am wrong­and what impressed me is how many faces I did not recognize listening. The conventional thinking is that our hobby is aging and therefore doomed. I don't see it based on the number of newcomers I see on a regular basis. I do wish I had included information for people about this list, and the Styrene and Resin lists.

My only complaint is that the Canteen closed too early. I heard interest in having more clinics and repeating clinics. The facility is really great I think and the CREW was on top of everything.

Bill Welch