Re: Big Trouble in Big China

Craig Zeni

On Jul 28, 2018, at 1:51 AM, main@RealSTMFC.groups.io wrote:

4b. Re: Big Trouble in Big China
From: Bob Chaparro <chiefbobbb@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2018 23:17:32 EDT

My contact in Athearn's Product Development Department had this to say:
"I just heard about it this morning. I'd never heard of this factory, but one of my employees had and so now I know of three companies that will be affected adversely (but I will not say who they are).
This is similar to what happened to us about eight or nine years ago - we took a big hit while trying to get our molds back, but we eventually got 99% of them within about 6 months.
I feel for these guys - this will not be fun for them."
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA
No secret on the largest one - it's Atlas. They've got it posted on their web page as of late yesterday afternoon. From the Atlas web page:

"Atlas has received notification from one of our locomotive and rolling stock suppliers that they have closed their factory. (Please note Atlas track and accessories are NOT affected by this delay.) Atlas is currently working with our network of suppliers to transfer the projects to others for completion. This will cause a delay in some previously ordered products. We apologize for this delay, thank you for your continued support, and will update you with more information as it becomes available. "

I was told by an Atlas rep at an RPM meet last year that after that fiasco 7-8 years ago that Atlas was no longer keeping all its eggs in one basket.

I'm not completely certain of the others affected but I have my suspicions based on similarity of locomotive drive component similarities but that would be wild eyed speculation.

Craig Zeni
Cary NC