Re: Freight Yard Light Poles

Dennis Storzek

On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 06:48 PM, James SANDIFER wrote:
These are very easy to make using Grandt Line 5062 light shades, Ngineering tubing, and 603 LEDs.
That statement gave me pause for a moment... I'm of an age where we had to use the Campbell pressed brass shades, because the micro bulbs ran too hot to mount in plastic. Then I realized you are using LEDs.

Which brings up another point. Now that we have all sorts of different color temperature LEDs available, keep in mind that all the lights with "pie plate" reflectors we see in old photos used incandescent light bulbs, so be sure to use an LED that gives the proper yellowish light. Mercury vapor lamps were available, but required a ballast transformer, which led to the ubiquitous teardrop shape of outdoor MV lighting fixtures. These pie plate fixtures have no boom for the ballast, therefore are incandescent.

Dennis Storzek