Re: Heinz Pickle and Vinegar Car info

Hugh and Mike – In the 1980s Byron Rose and I visited the plant and met with the marketing manager.  We were allowed to copy photos in an early Heinz history book, all the photos in the archives plus wander around the plant exterior to identify where the cars were loaded/unloaded/stored.  Much of that info was published in my history sheet for the 2200 series pickle cars.  All of it was published in the pickle special interest group newsletter.  My files also included the 1941 plans.  Because all of my research went with the sale of the business, I no longer have access to the material.   Perhaps the current owner, Andrew Dahm, can be persuaded to share the info. – Al Westerfield

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Schleigh Mike via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, August 3, 2018 7:42 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Heinz Pickle and Vinegar Car info

Hello Hugh and Group!

What Hugh describes sounds like part of the hand-out material from the national NMRA meet held in Pittsburgh in the early 1990s.  Several of our Group were involved in this endeavor.  The freight car material was provided with permission of the Heinz Co. and had been in their company files for years.

Regards from Grove City, Penna. where summer seems to be gasping----Mike Schleigh

On Friday, August 3, 2018, 12:10:42 AM EDT, Hugh Guillaume via Groups.Io <mguill1224@...> wrote:

I have a set of info that was produced by Heinz in 1941.  It includes 1/4" scale drawings of the pickle and vinegar cars along with paint chips of the yellow and blue paint used on the cars.  Drawings include dimensions and lettering diagrams.  The info was intended for use by model railroaders.  I don't remember when or where I acquired it.  I would like it to go to someone who will make the information available to everyone who is interested in Heinz freight cars.  It should not be in a file drawer which is where I found it tonight.  I had forgotten that I had it.  I think the paint chips alone make the info packet valuable.  I am open to suggestions.  Respectfully submitted by Hugh T Guillaume