Re: brake wheel terminology (was PTC or STC?)

Steve and Barb Hile

Sorry for the typo!  It should have read LEVER on a stick.  I agree with and use the below definitions.

Steve Hile

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tim O'Connor
Sent: Saturday, August 04, 2018 12:09 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] brake wheel terminology (was PTC or STC?)

FYI - terminology note -

Railroads (Car Builder's Cyclopedia) call handbrakes with gear housings on the ends of box cars
VERTICAL.

They refer to hand brakes mounted on posts on tank cars and flat cars as
HORIZONTAL .

Obviously the terms apply to the orientation of the plane of the hand brake wheel relative to the ground.

Reference: 19th Car Builder's Cyclopedia, page 919, Superior Hand Brake Company advertisement

However, we can note that the various PTC high walkway cars shown in the ORER entries that David Thompson cites all use horizontal brake wheels, while the two OCGX cars in the book photo demonstrate the use of a level hand brake on a "stick" that was pretty common on early STC cars.  The tall side facing ladder does match the PTC entries.

Thanks,
Steve Hile