Re: Masking over Archer rivets

James E Kubanick

My experience is identical to that which Al Brown describes. I use Scalcoat and Tamiya tape, also.

Jim Kubanick
Morgantown WV

On Monday, August 6, 2018 3:27 PM, O Fenton Wells <srrfan1401@...> wrote:

I have another tale about Archer rivets.  I added them to a boxcar.  First I sprayed the car with clear gloss.  Applied the rivets and it was a problem because the gloss hadn't dried completely.  But I was in a hurry and kept going.  After a week I started to proceed with more detailing of the car and noticed that the gloss had still not dried and I was leaving my fingerprints all over the sides.  WOWZER not good.  So I decided to strip it with Scale Coat stripper.  I have plenty of Archer rivets so I figured they would go with the stripper. I don't immerse, I lay the car on news print and paint the stripper to one side.  Let it sit then use a tooth brush and wash the paint off at the deep sink.   I use less stripper that way and it works just as well.  On some applications I have to do it 2 or 3 times a side.
After I got the clear gloss off, the Archer Rivets were still there....who knew.
Not saying this would work every time but it did this time.
Fenton Wells

On Mon, Aug 6, 2018 at 3:17 PM, StephenK <thekays100@...> wrote:
I have used another method for masking small areas (headlight lenses, for example) that are difficult to mask.   I use dishwashing liquid (the kind for the sink, not the machine).   This assumes a non-wood model.   Paint a layer of liquid over the area and let dry.  I usually put 2-3 coats on.   Paint, then wash off after the paint dries.   Note that I have never used this on Archer Rivets.   (I have never used Archer rivets....).  It's worth a try on a sample piece of plastic.

Steve Kay

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd