Re: ratios

George Courtney

One problem for me is the question is the average may never have occurred on the section of prototype railroad I'm modeling.  Areas near papermills might have larger numbers of pulpwood cars than near cotton fields for the same railroad.  On any given day, the type and road name could vary.  So someone modeling a 25 mile stretch on April 15th might have a very different mix for road names on April 25th of the same month and year.
Some do have collections of all the freight traffic on a given day.  But then they are limited to modeling that day alone I would think.  I note my stretch of line today is somedays mostly covered hoppers. Another day mostly gondolas.  Yet another a mix of the three.  There is onlys two businesses still be regularly switched as the traffic is mostly coal.  Unless you have a list of actual cars switched it could greatly vary from average I'd be concerned.  Still if if makes you happy, it's working.

George Courtney