From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of mopacfirst
Sent: Sunday, August 12, 2018 9:25 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Rock Island Bulk Flour Box Cars 47000 series

See Hile 'Rock Island Color Guide', page 36.  They were built, and evidently remained in service for some time, although they were a dead end design like other boxcars converted to bulk loading only.  All 21 are still listed in my 65 ORER, so this is a car I could use.

The caption suggests they were made obsolete by covered hopper cars, but I'd think it would have been primarily Airslide cars that would have displaced these.  If you model the right period of time, you might see these cars on a flour mill loading (shipping) siding along with a few Airslides and boxcars for bagged flour.

Only hard part about the conversion might be the stenciling.

Ron Merrick