Re: Kadee's new 1947 body style PS-1

Schleigh Mike

Hello Group!

Ed Hawkins contemplates the following regarding Boston & Main PS-1 cars in the 74000-74499 series----

"Keep in mind that BM received large orders of PS-1 box cars in 1956 & 1957: 1,000 - 50’ cars in 1956 & 539 - 40’ cars in 1957. These new cars may have something to do with the 42-car drop of the 1947-built PS-1 box cars that occurred in 1957.

Perhaps someone on this discussion group may know the disposition of the 42 cars and if any were sold in 1957 to a new owner. "

The answer can be found at Lowell, Mass. where the B&M Hist. Soc. has archives of the RR.  I have a number of copied pages from a log book entitled  "New Equipment & Equipment Destroyed" which, as it might be inferred, lists the equipment entering and leaving the assets of the RR.  I copied a large number (but not all) of the pages a few years back for other cars of interest.  Reviewing what I have relates only three of the 74000-74499 series cars being passed to other RRs as wreck replacements.  No large 'blocks' of cars are in my material.  However, a full review starting in 1956 might uncover evidence of the 42 cars Ed has noted.  Contact with the Lowell HQ of the Society is easily made via their web-site, also easily found.  Email is:  [bmrrhs@...].

Happy historical railroading from Grove City in wet, wonderful, western Penna.----Mike Schleigh

On Monday, August 13, 2018, 10:45:58 PM EDT, Ed Hawkins <hawk0621@...> wrote:

On Aug 13, 2018, at 6:22 PM, Jim Mischke <jmischke@...> wrote:

New Haven's PS-1 boxcars were prone to resale.

Examples of ex-NH 10'-0" inside height PS-1 boxcars were the first blue Port Huron and Detroit boxcars, and the yellow with red lettering AC&Y boxcars.

Others went to DRGW, LV, CNW, TPW, WAB, and LNAC, I think these were 10'-6" inside height boxcars, hence road names for the new Kadee 1947-vintage tooling.

Were any of these 1950's sales?

Jim,
PS-1 40’ box & auto car production during 1947-1948 totaled 16,965 cars, many of which are in Kadee’s plans to produce. By 1960 all but one railroad had experienced around a 1 to 3 percent attrition of these cars. This rate was not high enough to show evidence during the 1950s of sales to a second-hand owner.

One exception may be the Boston & Maine for BM 74000-74499 built ca. 9-47. Through 1/57 these cars experienced “normal attrition” with 489 cars reported in the ORER. By 1/58 the quantity dropped to 447, an 8.6 percent drop in one year. In 1/60 the quantity continued steady at 446. It would seem unlikely that 42 cars just 10-11 years old would have been lost to normal attrition in 1957. My thoughts are that a second-hand sale was made or possibly some cars leased to another railroad and not counted by the B&M for their ORER reporting.

Keep in mind that BM received large orders of PS-1 box cars in 1956 & 1957: 1,000 - 50’ cars in 1956 & 539 - 40’ cars in 1957. These new cars may have something to do with the 42-car drop of the 1947-built PS-1 box cars that occurred in 1957.

Perhaps someone on this discussion group may know the disposition of the 42 cars and if any were sold in 1957 to a new owner.
Regards,
Ed Hawkins