Re: Mather Refrg. cars

Richard Hendrickson

Chuck Yungkurth writes:

I have a friend here who badly wants to see any photos of Mather
refrigerators lettered for URTX. Think these are in the 4xxx and 5xxx series.
Apparently some of these were published in the model rr press. Just knowing
the mag and issue would be a big help.

Any info as to where he could buy prints or find a scan would be appreciated.
Chuck, to the best of my knowledge Union Refrigerator Transis owned NO
Mather reefers (all Mather reefers were owned by the Mather Stock Car Co.,
which leased them to various packing houses), and I've never seen a photo,
published or not, that showed otherwise. I think this is a lost cause.
URTX did have a lot of 36' meat reefers on their roster but they were
mostly built by GATC (which owned URT) and were only vaguely similar to the
Mather cars.

Richard H. Hendrickson
Ashland, Oregon 97520