Re: Carmer uncoupling levers for C&O hopper

maynard stowe

I’ve always wondered why railroads used Camer levers rather than the bent steel rod with seems simpler and was ultimately the most common.  The bent rod as a style goes back at last ago the turn of the century.
Maynard Stowe

On Aug 14, 2018, at 6:46 AM, Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:

Here's an end view of the Hocking Valley hopper on the Barriger site. Click on the image to review a larger size.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/41743651741/in/album-72157649155982802/

And an end view of the C&O car.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/26875484107/in/album-72157649155982802/

And, to make it all complete, a side view of the C&O car, but the air hose attachment point is obscured. But the Carmer hardware can be easily seen.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/barrigerlibrary/26875479047/in/album-72157649155982802/

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On August 13, 2018 at 9:26 PM Schuyler Larrabee <schuyler.larrabee@...> wrote:

Bruce, looking at the HV car, note that the bracket is mounted on one of the vertical channels on the end of the car.  I think that the horizontal flat is bent upwards and secured into the flat of the channel.  The two legs of the angle thus created are joined by the diagonal strap.  Shouldn’t be too tough to make, and with the vertical leg fastened into the interior of the channel it should be quite sturdy.

It’s NOT fastened to the very narrow end sill of the car.

You can’t zoom in to get the detail because the C&OHS would like you to buy a print, which will be exceedingly detailed.  I’ll forgo my usual rant about actually supporting RR Historical Websites by PAYING for the sharp image.  It’s not all available for free, you know.

Schuyler