From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bruce Smith
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2018 12:16 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Tank Car Or Just A Tank?

Steve,

I was wondering if the safety/safeties hadn’t gotten knocked off in the derailment?

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

On Aug 20, 2018, at 11:41 AM, Steve and Barb Hile <shile@...> wrote:

Always fun to do a bit more digging...

This car appears to be a Best Foods car, with BFX reporting marks.  Note the lack of safety valves on the dome, so its cargo was not volatile.

From the underframe, it appears to be an ACF Type 7 or 8 tank car with the trapezoidal shaped end sill and vertical posts on the corners up to the hand rail.  It would have been built around 1908, and would have been about 45 years old at the time of the derailment.

It is also interesting to see the integrity of the tank has been maintained, while the underframe has been torn up.

Steve Hile