Re: 1937 shot at Ft. Belvoir

Jon Miller <atsfus@...>

On 8/23/2018 9:30 AM, Denny Anspach wrote:
Officer riding boots?  :  More probably they were “puttees”, strapped leather leggings that encased officer's trousers similar to riding britches, and which which fit over the tops of leather shoes. I always assumed that this was a rank-thing that hung over when officers were all on horseback.

    Could be.  I was familiar with my fathers boots (which I like to put on when I was little).  He was field artillery at VMI for a couple of years, in that time frame, and he had them as artillery was horse drawn (in his time).  I had never heard of puttees.

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941