Re: 1937 shot at Ft. Belvoir

Ray Breyer

The only puttees I see in the photo are being worn by a single staff sergeant with his hands in his pockets, watching the pontoons being loaded. All of the officers (and at least one warrant) are wearing actual riding boots, while most of the enlisted ranks are wearing "shoepac" overboots.

Remember that 1937 was STILL the era of the horse-powered Army, and that any good officer knew how to ride well. Riding boots were a normal part of an officer's uniform, especially that close to DC.

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

On Thursday, August 23, 2018, 11:30:51 AM CDT, Denny Anspach <danspachmd@...> wrote:

Officer riding boots?  :  More probably they were “puttees”, strapped leather leggings that encased officer's trousers similar to riding britches, and which which fit over the tops of leather shoes. I always assumed that this was a rank-thing that hung over when officers were all on horseback.

Denny

Denny S. Anspach MD
Okoboji, IA