Re: HO scale ASF A-3 Ride Control trucks with roller bearings

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Dan and friends,

A lot of early US O-scale was 1:45, including freight cars (mandatory content).
Some models 1:45 were still available using pre-war tooling in the late 1940s. It took a while for things to standardize at 1:48. Let's not get into all the "proto" variations.

Today British O-scale uses 1:43 or 7mm to the foot versus the US 1/4". Since I dabble in British narrow gauge on 16.5 mm (HO gauge) track, this doesn't matter much, though I can't decide if my fictional South Mull Light Railway's gauge is 27" (Tallylyn and Corrris) or 30" (Welshpool & Llanfair). It's only a problem if I stand a 1:43 Phoenix figure next to a 1:48 Grandt Line door.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

On 8/23/18 10:25 PM, Daniel A. Mitchell wrote:
Who says "O Scale is supposed to be 1/4"=1'-0", 1:48?” The scale came from Europe which has been “metric” for many years (mid 1800’s). Not everything happened at once, and the system continues to evolve to this day.

And yes, "O-Scale” is quite confused, with three versions at least. In the USA 1/4” = 1 ft. is the norm. Then there's the “1.5” scale folks who use two track gauges (7.25” and 7.5”) for similar reasons. And some folks change the scale a bit to match the 7.5” track. And the British who use HO track but model in OO scale. Not to mention “G” where all sorts of scales run on the same track gauge. Go figure?   :-((

And historic models have indeed been built in all sorts of scales, before any standardization existed. Of course prototype railroads were also built in all sizes and gauges before standards were evolved as well.

But we certainly are wandering off-topic.

Dan Mitchell
On Aug 23, 2018, at 11:09 AM, Dennis Storzek <destorzek@...> wrote:

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 07:06 AM, Daniel A. Mitchell wrote:
This results from “HO” being half of European “O” gauge, which is 7mm to the foot … another goofy scale. Why did they pick such a congloberation in the first place?
At risk of getting waaaay off topic, it was the result of adopting toy train track with a gauge of 1.25 inches as the standard for O Scale, which is supposed to be 1/4"=1'-0", 1:48. The gauge ends up being a scale 3.5" oversize. By adopting 7mm = 1'-0", 1:43.5, they corrected the scale for the gauge, actually over corrected by several percent, but that was better, because model wheels are overly wide, also. At one time there was a movement here in the US to correct the modeling scale by adopting 17/64" = 1'-0", 1:45, which is almost perfect, but it never went anywhere, although I've seen some trolley models built to that scale.

Why not just use the real numbers? Mechanisms are likely the most difficult part of the model to build, so many people just wanted to adapt toy mechanisms. Meanwhile precision tools that measure to one thousandth of an inch were expensive and not commonly available, so they were always picking some number that could be measured with a machinist scale.

What does this have to do with steam era freight cars? Most of this transpired during the steam era, and there have been freigtcar models built in all these scales.

Dennis Storzek