Re: Speaking of Sunshine - kit questions

Dennis Storzek

Wiseman Model Services also does and older Fruehauf 24 footer that was picked up from On-Trak... I did these patterns over thirty years ago for Walker Model service, my one foray into vehicle modeling.
24' Fruehauf

Wiseman has it incorrectly labeled as an "Aerovan", a trade name Fruehauf used after WWII, but it isn't, it's actually an older model, dating to 1940-41. While I developed the patterns from an existing construction trailer that had survived intact into the eighties, I did some research at the time and ran into the Aerovan name repeatedly in the trade press, but the details of the front bonnet are consistently different. There are undoubtedly other unseen differences in construction, the Aerovan name was meant to be a reference to the then new concept of "aircraft construction" where lightweight custom pressings replaced traditional rolled structural steel to reduce weight, and therefore increase the load that could be legally carried. Wiseman offers the trailer in 24, 28, and 32 foot lengths. IIRC, the version I measured was a 28 footer. I suspect the design is really too old to have been built as a 32 footer, but at this late date the trailer looks pretty generic and can stand in for other, later designs.

Dennis Storzek