Reefers: Heaters

Paul Catapano

The only pictures I have seen (which isn't saying much) of heaters being inserted into Reefer bunkers show the car-man lowering the heater on the end of the same "hook" he used to maneuver and chop ice blocks. The heaters did not seem that large. Maybe 12"-18" square (round).
I regularly have seen both photo's and video of employee's chopping the 300 pound blocks into small pieces, with the long pole/hook.

My guess is that if you dropped a 300 pound block of ice into a reefer bunker whole you could damage the bunker (At least during the initial icing).

Paul Catapano