From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Richard Townsend via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2018 1:04 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Shrouded tank cars: floors?

There were some tank cars with shrouds (for insulation?) that curved across the top of the car and then went down vertically to the cars' running boards. Examples are on p. 18 of Jim Kinkaid's Tank Car Color Guide volume 1 (Morning Sun) and one, a Monsanto car, is preserved at the transportation museum in St. Louis. Ambroid's old Riverside Oil Company tank car kit is another example. But my question is this: did these cars have full floors, or was the car open frame like any other tank car? Or maybe partial floors?

And no, these are not removable containers like on the butterdish milk cars.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR