Re: "X" on car doors

ken chapin

XXX on the Chessie system the car was to be on home rail only,not fit for interchange to other railroads. Ken
--
Sent from my Android phone with GMX Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

On 8/30/18, 11:35 AM Alex Huff <dsrc512@...> wrote:
It is my understanding that the X on boxcar doors on at least the CNW meant the cars were in restricted service.  Called "trap cars" on the CNW, one of the assignments was transporting display goods to and from Chicago's Merchandise Mart, built directly over a CNW yard and outlying team tracks and/or satellite yards in the Chicago area.

Built by Marshall Field & Co to consolidate the wholesale merchandisers in one location,  it was the largest building in the world with 4,000,000 sq.ft. of floor space when opened in 1930.

Alex Huff