PFE (WP) Hutchins Roof Photo Needed

Bob Chaparro

Alfred Fickensher posted the request below on my Railroad Citrus Industry Modeling Group. I have several WP reefer photos but none showing car roofs. Can anyone help Alfred? Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

++++

Folks, I’m hoping someone might have a roof-view photo of one of the WP PFE R-30s that gives a good view of the Hutchins roof. Apparently there were different Hutchins roofs over the years between the wars, so a picture for example of an XY&Z RY box car with a Hutchins roof won’t be trustworthy enough for my purposes. This has to be identifiable as a PFE reefer and of course has to show at least one and a half segments of the Hutchins roof for me to be able to model it.

I’m scratchbuilding two 1:48 PFE reefers, one R-30-12 with Bettendorf underframe and one R-30-13 with the PFE “company” u/f. My intentions are to paint one as a WP car and at this point in the project it’s not yet decided whether the WP will be the -12 or the -13, both were on the roster although only a small percentage of the WPs were the Bettendorfs.

The Hutchins roof however apparently was on 2000 of the 2750 WP cars so its surprising to me that no photos have shown up for me so far.

Hopefully. . .

Thanks for looking,

Alfred Fickensher

Bettendorf, Iowa