Re: on the left, there is a B&O gon

Ray Breyer

Looking at the photo I see 341xxx as the road number. Per Eric Hansmann's survey of the B&O's 1926 gondola fleet ( http://designbuildop.hansmanns.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/BO_1926_Fleet_gondolas.pdf ) that makes the car an O-18a. However, I've got a few photos of O-18's, and none of them have this goofy extension on them.

I have a few (bad) copies of B&O car diagrams. One of them lists ONE car - 341643 - as an O-18c, which was modified with side dump hoppers. That diagram might match this single car. There's no note as to when the conversion was done, but this may be an image of a single, experimental B&O car.

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

On Monday, September 10, 2018, 2:48:01 PM CDT, Claus Schlund \(HGM\) <claus@...> wrote:

Hi List Members,

I noticed an odd thing on this photo - on the left, there is a B&O gon. It seems to me that two of the gon panels extend lower down than the rest do. Is this an illusion or other photographic artifact? A repair? A complete anomaly?

Claus Schlund