Re: on the left, there is a B&O gon

Eric Hansmann

The B&O gondola in this 1926 DL&W photograph is an O-18 class car. This car class held 39% of the B&O gondola fleet of 1926. More details can be found on this 1926 equipment summary.

http://designbuildop.hansmanns.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/BO_1926_Fleet_gondolas.pdf

Based upon the first three digits of the B&O car number (341), this is an O-18a car. The drop doors have been removed and the car now has a solid wood bottom. This car was modified about 1922 and the irregular steel plates along the side sill may have been a result of that modification of a repair. I have not seen a B&O O-18 with this odd side sill look.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On September 10, 2018 at 1:47 PM "Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;)" <claus@...> wrote:

Hi List Members,

I noticed an odd thing on this photo - on the left, there is a B&O gon. It seems to me that two of the gon panels extend lower down than the rest do. Is this an illusion or other photographic artifact? A repair? A complete anomaly?

Claus Schlund

_.