From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of vapeurchapelon
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2018 3:41 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] correct trucks on CB&Q SM-18 stock cars (?)

Many thanks, Nelson,

but

>> Shipping is a very reasonable $3 .50 per order. <<

this will be a little more to Germany ;-)

Furthermore very likely no difference either with or without wheelsets. Since I don't have (useable) spare wheelsets I have to order with them. I intended to ask what's wrong with the TAHOE wheelsets, but Brian Leppert thankfully already mentioned that the trucks have Intermountain wheelsets.

Many greetings

Johannes, also considering Kadee wheelsets because of their ribbed back side, which very likely were used on these stock cars...

Gesendet: Dienstag, 11. September 2018 um 19:33 Uhr
Von: "Nelson Moyer" <npmoyer@...>
An: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

To follow up on TMW trucks, it is possible to buy the trucks without wheel sets at $3.75 per pair and install your own wheels. I use Intermountain wheels. TMW doesn’t list that option on the order form, but just cross out the $8.35 per pair and specify that you want just the side frames.  Shipping is a very reasonable $3 .50 per order.

Nelson Moyer

Von: "Douglas Harding" <doug.harding@...>
An: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

If you can’t find the Tahoe trucks Nelson mentioned, look at the Accurail Andrews trucks. They are a very nice looking, inexpensive and when equipped with wheelsets from Intermoutain or Reboxx they roll very well.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Von: "Nelson Moyer" <npmoyer@...>
An: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

It depends upon what date(s) you intend to represent. SM-18 and SM-18A stock cars were built between 1926 and 1928, and they originally received arch bar trucks, but they received Andrews trucks before the arch bar ban for interchange. Since your cars have AB brakes, they would also have Andrews trucks. All photos of SM-18 and SM-18A stock cars I’ve seen show Andrews trucks. Later classes of CB&Q stock cars got Barber double truss lateral motion, Barber S-2A, ASF A-3 ride control, or Scullin self-aligning spring plankless trucks, but here is no evidence that I’m aware of where these trucks were ever used on SM-18 or SM-18A stock cars, which were retired in the late 1960s and early 1970s. A few cars lasted into the BN era. It also depends upon how strictly you wish to model the prototype. If you’re fudging other things, you may use whatever trucks you wish to use without regard for the prototype. If any SM-18 or SM-18A cars got any of these other trucks, it would be an anomaly, and with only two cars, do you really want to model an anomaly?  I have 24 SM-18 and SM-18A stock cars at present, and all roll very well on Tahoe Model Works Andrews trucks. Bottom line for you is the decision whether or not to be true to the prototype, or freelance.

Nelson Moyer