Re: Flat Car Chains, Was: Poultry Car Tarps

Eric Hansmann

On September 26, 2018 at 4:22 PM Rod Miller <rod@...> wrote:

The chain and hook, apparently on both sides of the coupler,
on the flat car caught my eye. I speculate the car was used
in some sort of logging service where the chains would have
prevented a train break because of uncoupling on rough track.
Or were chains with hooks commonly used in some locations?

--
Rod Miller
Handcraftsman

These end sill chains and hooks are common on some early 20th century flat cars and gondolas with drop ends. Long loads would extend over a car end to another car. These chains and hooks would keep the paired cars together in case of accidental uncoupling.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN