Re: Jersey City, NJ--Grain pier [1917.09.20]

Eric Hansmann

Eric,

I think this tool was pulled along and not pushed. A man might guide it from behind but I believe it was pulled along by the cable in the foreground that leads out the door. This would have eased unloading of bulk cargo once the cargo level dropped enough to stand in the car. I'm sure the tool would have been wrestled back to the car end to push more cargo to the door. Click on the link for Original Size to view the details better. Once the image loads, click on it to see the full size.

Note the door on the right is blocked by boards to keep the cargo from seeping out.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On September 26, 2018 at 4:16 PM Eric Lombard <elombard@...> wrote:

Hello Everyone...

Here is a photo from the Steam Town National Historic Park site. It is public domain. Lots of details of the process and the stencil over the open door is "B&O". Does the scraper-like device have a name (other than "back breaker")? There are additional photos of the external aspect of the Jersey City grain pier.

https://npgallery.nps.gov/AssetDetail/d3fb4aa9-c266-466a-942c-70dc2b089056?

Eric Lombard
Homewood, IL