Stupid hand brake question

Peter Ness

I know I should know the answer to this, but I don't.  I am sure the collective group will devise an appropriate punishment for my utter lack of knowledge.

Question: for flat cars equipped with a drop staff hand brakes, would the staff be in the lowered position while the car is in a train? I am asking because I don't see that once a car is in a consist that anyone is going to have to set the hand brake and I am not aware of any requirement for correct function of the brake while in consist, that the hand brake must be in the raised position.

OK - punishment can be assigned, but please provide an answer.

Thanks,
Peter Ness