Re: BAR/NH Insulated Box Car Resin Kit

John Hagen <sprinthag@...>

Sorry. Nothing here indicates any pixelation.

Really this is getting a tad silly.

Some here are calling fine lines, spot matrix in colors and what not as pixelation.

Pixelation in printing means the item being printed is a photo format such as tiff, jpeg or something similar. That means that under magnification, sometimes strong or sometimes hardly any, the edges of any one color is shown as tiny squares. The size of the squares is dependent on the dpi, which could be more accurately be called squares per inch. These “dots” (for easy typing) inside the particular colors border are fully colored, solid red in a red area, solid blue in a blue area, etc.

But along  the borders the dots fade from their basic color. And the more of the dots that is outside the border the less of the color is in the dots. Instead the dots are a combination of the of the color and that of its neighbor color. Now, depending on the dpi, these dots may be small enough that our eye sees them as a fine segue from one color to another. But examine it close up and the pixels show up. That is pixelation. All rasterized formats have it. All vector formats do not.

Provided a decal is printed by any sort of modern printer with at least 600 dpi. Vector graphic will not display pixelation. Laser, inkjet, Alps, none of them.

Print a rasterized (photo format) design and the pixelation will show if looked at close enough. Not so much in actual photos where there multiple colors that all fade into one another but a photo of a box car and its lettering most certainly show pixelation. Take any photo you have handy stored on your hard drive or one off the web and enlarge it. It will at some point start showing pixelation. And then you copy it and go to print it again and the pixelation will get worse unless you do certain things to prevent it, and then it may still get worse.

But this is Definity different from the spot matrix shown in colors that are obtained by adding dots (yes real dots here)of CYMK (four color printer) or other ink colors in six or more color printers. No matter how many ink colors the printer can use, all the colors in the rainbow require a matrix of the available colors to make them. The smaller the dots the less noticeable the matrix is but it is there unless the image is printed in spot colors.

Which is another whole story I will not go into here.

Also, every printer has a certain number of lpi (Lines Per Inch) that will affect as in “This printer is 1200 DPI so the line spacing is very tight but you will see lines in certain colors.”  Actually he is slightly incorrect as there is a difference between dpi and lpi although on today’s high resolution printers it become hard to tell the difference. But that is another issue I will not go into at this time.

I purchased my first Alps in 1999 or 2000 for printing decals. That began a very long learning process that is still going on today. But all this talk about pixels, dpi, lpi, vector, rasterize, etc. has vexed me since my first decals did not print out as good as thought they would. That’s 18 0r 19 years of searching the answers.

John Hagen