Thanks, guys. Yes, I did have to ream out the truck journals for good running characteristics, but I often have to do this.

And, Tim, these cars were later renumbered into the 3000 - 3999 series, so I still believe they were not classed as any of the N-10  series. Since photographing this car, I have blanked out the N-10 until I find the correct class designation, if one was ever assigned.

Jim

On Monday, October 15, 2018, 9:02:35 AM EDT, vapeurchapelon <j.markwart@...> wrote:

Beautyful model, no doubt.

>> TMW Andrews trucks and Kadee code 88 wheelsets. <<

Did you ream out the TMW trucks to accept Kadee wheelsets, or did it fit sufficiently (which I would be surprised of)?

Thanks and greetings

Johannes

Gesendet: Montag, 15. Oktober 2018 um 03:59 Uhr
Von: "James E Kubanick" <jekuban@...>
An: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Betreff: [RealSTMFC] B&O 5470
I have just completed a build of F&C kit # 6761, B&O 9 Panel Hopper. This kit has a one piece body casting, so it was not a particularly difficult build, for a hopper. I followed the kit instructions in building the car and fitted it with TMW Andrews trucks and Kadee code 88 wheelsets. Paint is Scalecoat Engine Black and Testor's Dullcoat. Weathering is a thinned coat of Scalecoat  Flat Grime #1 followed with various Pan Pastel colors. Decals are the original F&C - Not entirely satisfactory.

The F&C data sheet says these cars were built for the CNJ and were a stretched version of the 1905 standard hopper design.CNJ ordered 2000 of these cars in 1920, followed by orders for additional cars. Beginning in 1940, AB brakes replaced the original K brakes and 978 of the upgraded cars were leased to the B&O at that time. B&O numbered them into their 5460 - 5534 series. I could not find a B&O class number for these cars and the instruction sheet photos only shows the designation *HM". The decal sheet has N-10 printed on it but this is incorrect, I believe. These cars had a long life as the B&O rebuilt, and renumbered, them in the mid-1950's.

This is an interesting version of a rib side hopper due to the extra side panel which results in the apex of the center slope sheets being placed in the center of the center panel rather than the normal placement at the center rib.

Jim Kubanick
Morgantown WV