Peter,

The stirrups were those supplied in the kit. To me, the look like Tichy or Detail Associates. They are made of Delrin.

Jim

On Monday, October 15, 2018, 10:58:06 AM EDT, Paul Doggett via Groups.Io <paul.doggett2472@...> wrote:

Stunning modelling Jim the weathering is absolutely great.

Paul Doggett England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 15 Oct 2018, at 15:49, Peter Ness <prness@...> wrote:

Very nice build, Jim.  I like what you’ve done with the interior! May I ask what you used for stirrup steps?

Peter Ness

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of James E Kubanick
Sent: Sunday, October 14, 2018 10:00 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] B&O 5470

I have just completed a build of F&C kit # 6761, B&O 9 Panel Hopper. This kit has a one piece body casting, so it was not a particularly difficult build, for a hopper. I followed the kit instructions in building the car and fitted it with TMW Andrews trucks and Kadee code 88 wheelsets. Paint is Scalecoat Engine Black and Testor's Dullcoat. Weathering is a thinned coat of Scalecoat  Flat Grime #1 followed with various Pan Pastel colors. Decals are the original F&C - Not entirely satisfactory.

The F&C data sheet says these cars were built for the CNJ and were a stretched version of the 1905 standard hopper design.CNJ ordered 2000 of these cars in 1920, followed by orders for additional cars. Beginning in 1940, AB brakes replaced the original K brakes and 978 of the upgraded cars were leased to the B&O at that time. B&O numbered them into their 5460 - 5534 series. I could not find a B&O class number for these cars and the instruction sheet photos only shows the designation *HM". The decal sheet has N-10 printed on it but this is incorrect, I believe. These cars had a long life as the B&O rebuilt, and renumbered, them in the mid-1950's.

This is an interesting version of a rib side hopper due to the extra side panel which results in the apex of the center slope sheets being placed in the center of the center panel rather than the normal placement at the center rib.

Jim Kubanick
Morgantown WV