Re: Crated or damaged aircraft as flatcar load

Richard Townsend

I have a photo of an F-something, taken in the early sixties, I believe, that shows the body of the jet on one flatcar. It is loaded at an angle (like it's banked at about 30 degrees, on a cradle that holds it at that angle). The wings have been removed, although what I would call the wing roots are there, and stick out from the fuselage by about 3 feet. It appears that the radar dome (bonnet?) on the nose has been removed and the hole covered with plastic held on by a strap.

The elevators and stabilizer also have been removed. They are on another flatcar (UP 36911, I think)with the wings. All of these have been crated up in open sided crates that hold them vertically (as opposed to laying flat on the deck of the car). There is a small crate on this flat that might hold important parts (such as the radar?)

Sorry, I have no scanner.

I also have seen photos of a 737 that was loaded on a trailer train flat after running off the end of a runway somewhere. It too was strapped down onto cradles on the deck. The wings, etc were loaded on another flat in much the same way as described for the fighter above.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon
How would a crated or damaged aircraft have been secured to the deck
of a flatcar? �Here in Dickinson,ND in about 1952/53 a USAF reserve
pilot crash landed a F-84 at the local airport. �According to my
father-in-law, whose 1947 Ford pick-up it hit when it went of the end
of the runway, it was dismantled by the Air Force and loaded on a
flatcar and scrapped. �He has pictures of the wrecked jet on the
ground, on top of his wrecked pick-up, but not on the train. �I
thought this would make an interesting flatcar load.

Aaron Gjermundson