Re: RPM Chicagoland Photos

Peter Ness

Tin O’Connor wrote:

Question: Who first popularized "shelf" style, "walk around" model railroads? A major RPM milestone, IMO.

Tough question, popularized it…the Lionel display layouts in NYC were somewhat walk around and some department store layouts were true walk arounds. If by popularized the meaning is shared across a great number of modelers then it may have been John Allen, John Armstrong or even David Barrows?

There were a lot of early layouts where the center was the “operators pit”, and if you forget that and just look at the track plan, it was possible to walk around the outside of the layout…back then, it just wasn’t viewed from that perspective.

I think the development of portable throttle technology heavily influenced the popularity of walk arounds…in that case it would be a “what” and not a “who”?

Peter Ness

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tim O'Connor
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2018 9:50 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] RPM Chicagoland Photos

The Delta Lines!! Hugely influential. My Dad's HO scale dream layout (never built) was
based on the Delta Lines design (O scale). When I bought my first house, I also came up
with a ridiculously ambitious track plan based on the DL. In those days I could "duck
under" without injuring myself. :-) And then along came John Armstrong...

Question: Who first popularized "shelf" style, "walk around" model railroads? A major
RPM milestone, IMO.

Tim O'

Peter Ness wrote

> I know... that Frank Ellison was writing articles on prototype modeling in the 1930's

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.