Re: Resin casting - the view from here

Dennis Storzek

On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 12:18 AM, Tom Madden wrote:
Am I an innovator? I don’t think so – more of a facilitator. I’m certainly pleased with the contributions I’ve been able to make, but as with the patent example back in the first paragraph, if it hadn’t been me, it would have been someone else. I’ve also been in the right place at the right time, a number of times, and am not unaware of the role luck has played in what I’ve been able to do and experience. It’s been a helluva ride.
Don't beat yourself up, Tom. Just as there were automobiles before Henry Ford, and light bulbs before Thomas Edison, there were likely hundreds of guys who tried casting nickels out of Woods metal, and none of them was able to sell the technology to the US Mint either. While the geniuses who invent new forms of basic technology are obviously important, few of those people work in the model railroad supply field. More important to us are those who can grasp novel technology and adapt it to our needs, while creating an economically viable business model so the product becomes self sustaining. THOSE are the people who move the "leading edge" forward.

Your comment about the title on your business card brought back memories. Back in the seventies the author of one of the resin casting articles was a proponent of a particular GE silicone rubber. Problem was, GE would only sell it in ten gallon lots at an astronomical price... but the author pointed out that GE would send out free one pound evaluation samples. Out came the Chartpak dry transfers (this was long before desktop publishing or even personal computers) and I soon had letterhead for MCB Models, and eventually my sample kit.

Allow me to belatedly express condolences on the loss of your wife.

Dennis Storzek